ALC (Alternative Learning Center)
The ALC (Alternative Learning Center) in Pillager is a credit recovery program offered in the evenings on the Pillager High School Campus. Students must be 16 years of age or older to participate in credit recovery. Students who also seek an alternative school format may be eligible to attend the ALC program as full-time students. Students must also be 16 years of age or older to qualify. Students must also meet one or more entrance qualifier's:
1. Student performs substantially below performance level for pupils of the same age in a locally determined achievement test; or
2. Is at least one year behind in satisfactorily completing coursework or obtaining credits for graduation; or
3. Is pregnant or is a parent; or
4. Has been assessed as chemically dependent; or
5. Has been excluded or expelled; or
6. Has been referred by a school district for enrollment in an eligible program or a program pursuant to section 126.23; or
7. Is a victim of physical or sexual abuse; or
8. Has experienced mental health problems; or
9. Has experienced homelessness sometime within the last months before requesting transfer to an eligible program or;
10. Speaks English as a second language or has limited English proficiency; or
11. Has withdrawn from school or has been chronically truant.
Students who need to attend ALC for credit recovery will be referred by Mrs. Turner. If you believe you are behind in credits please see Mrs. Turner. Enrollment periods are at the beginning of each semester (fall, spring, and summer session).
Students interested in attending full-time will need to meet with Mrs. Turner and with the Lead Teacher for an intake interview. Students and parents will be given policy information and logistical information for dates and times of ALC. The Lead Teacher will also access whether or not the student meets one or more of the entrance qualifiers. Once the student is approved to enroll, the appropriate paperwork will be given to parents and students to complete, and an enrollment date will be given.
ALC will start on Tuesday, September 6, 2016. Students are to report to room 520 on that dat at 3:15pm for class and room assignments. Students and parents with questions can contact Mrs. Turner.
*Students can earn up to a maximum of three credits during the summer session upon administrator approval.